Feedback from the Connections UK 2019 interdisciplinary wargaming conference included:
“I didn’t think it was possible, but the conference again improved.”
“A very well organised professional event.”
“It was a great conference. As I’m new to the community, the speakers and attendees made me feel very welcome.”
“Really interesting and useful for first-timers.”
“This was awesome!’
“👍 See you at Connections UK 2020!”
“A better venue, please, and structured networking events.”
Connections UK is evolving, with some significant changes ahead.
Date and venue. Connections UK 2020 will be hosted between 8th to 10th September at the University of Nottingham, in their brand-new Teaching and Learning Building. See the Connections UK website for an overview. The Teaching and Learning Building comprises a plethora of co-located meeting spaces, including a 300-seat auditorium and multiple breakout areas for networking and game play. The building is within easy reach of a range of accommodation options, and it has free car parking. Nottingham is a fantastic location, with excellent national and international transport links and a wealth of culture to explore and leverage, including being an ‘industry cluster’ for gaming companies, traditional and hi-tech.
Purpose and approach. The purpose of Connections UK is to advance and sustain the art, science and application of wargaming. We do this by bringing together wargamers – and those who are keen to learn about wargaming – from across the whole world. As a community, we share best practices, showcase relevant emerging technologies – and we network.
We have carefully examined your feedback from the 2019 conference, which has prompted us to focus on the following at the 2020 event:
- Learning-by-doing, with games and ‘deep dives’ that cater for wargaming newcomers and provide opportunities for practitioners to practise their art.
- Community-building, by explicitly addressing issues such as diversity and inclusion and next-generation planning.
- Governance in Defence and across government.
- Social events and networking opportunities, making the most of the centralised venue and nearby accommodation.
Programme. We have also drawn on the feedback from our 2019 conference to shape the programme for Connections UK 2020. A detailed programme will follow once speakers start to fall into place, but key events and topics will include:
- Educational activities for both beginners and mid-career practitioners.
- Technology stands, demonstrating the latest relevant technologies.
- A panel comprising individuals from academia who are using wargaming.
- Deep dives on topics such as:
- Wargaming the future.
- Wargaming the past.
- Non-Defence-related wargaming.
- Analysing wargame findings.
- Recreational game design.
- The RAND perspective on current and future US wargaming initiatives.
- A Games Fair.
- Social events and informal gaming sessions.
Programme updates will be posted on the Connections UK website.
Cost. The cost of a 3-day ticket will be around £225. This includes lunch (served in the Technology and Learning Building) and refreshments each day.
Accommodation. This is not included in the ticket price, but there are excellent options:
- Student en-suite accommodation (£60 per night bed and breakfast), which is a three-minute stroll from the Technology and Learning Building.
- The De Vere Orchard Hotel, equally close to the main venue.
- The De Vere Jubilee Conference Centre, located on the Jubilee Campus about three-quarters of a mile from the venue.
- The Travelodge Nottingham Wollaton Park, located about a mile from the venue.
Evening meals and socialising. We have booked a central dining hall, which is suitable for both eating and gaming, and has a bar. The price of an evening meal is £20.
Registration and booking. We will let you know how to register, and when, in due course. We will also tell you how to book accommodation.
Points of contact and further information. See the Connections UK website for updates . Please send general questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and administrative queries to email@example.com
Privacy. Connections UK is GDPR compliant. Please see further details on the website.
We look forward to welcoming you at Connections UK in Nottingham. Save the date 8th – 10th September 2020 and note the location.